St Hilda's Anglican Catholic Church Service Times

You are invited to join us for Anglican Catholic Holy Communion / Mass on:
Every Sunday, Maitland NSW Australia. Venue: St Marys School Chapel in Victoria St. Mass at 11am.
Email
Fr Matthew Kirby for further details.
Check here for any additions or cancelations of services.

Sunday 26 January 2014

The Three Crowns (published 1886)


This is a page from a book titled "Sunday. Reading for the young", published in London in 1886 containing stories and poems for young children, along with exquisite black and white engravings.

The page reads:

THE THREE CROWNS
BLESSED is the man that endureth temptation, for when he is tried he shall receive A CROWN OF LIFE, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him,' (James i.12.) "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me A CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them that love His appearing. (2 Tim. iv. 7,8.) "And when the Chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive A CROWN OF GLORY, that fadeth not away.' (1 pet. v. 4.)

Childhood is a time of life overflowing with temptations. So many new tastes and so many new experiences and curiosities, with very limited sense of danger. It is a wonder that some of us survived, but we learn and we grow from experience. 

As an adult temptation is still very real and dangerous although it's form can differ. Sometimes we make a choice not to address our weaknesses, these are our temptations that we indulge behind closed doors. If we choose to do this them our temptations can get a strong hold and have the potential to become quite destructive to ourselves and our relationships (the obvious examples are addictions such as alcohol, gambling and eating disorders). Our temptations and Sins are not always that obvious and can come in many forms, but we seldom want to acknowledge them. Perhaps we like to rule situations and people rather than serve others, or inflate our own egos by laying judgement or indulging in gossip. Perhaps our temptation is toward laziness and we simply don't fulfill our potentials.

We are not children anymore and can't rely on the parental slap on the wrist to indicate we were naughty, but a higher authority is still watching. Not only is He watching our actions but also our hearts, and He can see behind and beyond the thickest and strongest closed door. 

Ask yourself:
Do I keep and show my love for Him continually and endure temptation so I will receive A CROWN OF LIFE? Am I fighting a good fight, aiming to finish my course in faith and to have love toward His appearing so that I will receive A CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS? Have I focused my heart and hope on receiving A CROWN OF GLORY, that does not fade away?

Lord help me to identify my temptations, so that I can learn and grow. When I can acknowledge them, give me the strength and direction I need to fight and overcome them. Lord, guide me in my choices toward pleasing you, that I might one day receive a crown of glory.   Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment